İrem UZUN -TDO- World Health Organization investigators exited a two-week quarantine Thursday in Wuhan, China, to begin their work in search of the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic. Earlier in the day members of the team tweeted about the end of their quarantine, including pictures of themselves receiving letters certifying they had completed medical isolation. "New phase, new priorities," tweeted Dutch virologist Marion Koopmans.
The team, both international experts and WHO officials, will work with Chinese scientists to focus on understanding how the earliest patients may have been infected. They will also look at research around a food wet market linked to early known cases, according to the WHO.
Doubts have been raised about how much access the team will have to certain locations and the data collected by Chinese scientists. WHO team member Peter Daszak said the Chinese side was sharing data with the team that had not previously been made public, according to US news outlet NBC in a segment aired this week. “This is a scientific trip, admittedly with a lot of politics and a lot of blame game, but it’s the science that’s taking the lead here,” said Daszak, a disease ecologist who is president of US-based EcoHealth Alliance. “The data don’t lie.”