İrem UZUN -TDO- On Thursday, several UN and EU officials issued official statements that warned Israel against the annexation plan. While the UN's special Middle East envoy named the move as a "devastating blow" to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the EU foreign affairs chief said they will “closely monitor” Israeli actions.
Earlier this week, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his rival Benny Gantz signed a coalition agreement that includes a clause to advance plans to annex parts of the West Bank, including Israeli settlements, starting on July 1. On Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said any moves towards annexation were "an Israeli decision" and the U.S. government will respect. About Pompeo’s statement, Nabil Abu Rudeineh, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’ spokesperson said “The United States has no say in legitimizing an Israeli decision regarding the Palestinian territories, or in deciding what happens to them. The Palestinians are the only ones to decide on the future of their territories”.
EU foreign affairs Chief Josep Borrell pointed out that the European Union reiterates any annexation would constitute a serious violation of international law. The EU will continue to closely monitor the situation and its broader implications and will act accordingly. In a video briefing with the Security Council, UN´s special Middle East envoy Nickolay Mladenov said “The dangerous prospect of annexation by Israel of parts of the occupied West Bank is a growing threat that would violate international law”.