Selin ATAY-TDO- According to a statement issued by Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba, Ukraine will make every effort to maximize compensation for a Ukrainian jet shot down by Iran on January 8 but talks with Tehran, which began on Thursday.
Iranian forces say they downed the Ukraine International Airlines Boeing 737 jet after mistaking it for a missile at a time when tensions with the United States had risen. All 176 people on board – including 57 Canadians – were killed.
After the two delegations met in Kyiv to discuss about the issue, “We will achieve justice, no matter how much time and effort it costs,” Kuleba said in a statement published by the ministry.
President Volodymyr Zelenskiy had indicated in February that Ukraine was not satisfied with the size of compensation Iran offered to the families of Ukrainian citizens who died in the incident.
Besides that, an international team has started examining the black box flight recorders from the plane.
Last week, a senior Ukrainian diplomat said the transcript obtained from the black box showed illegal interference with the plane.