İrem UZUN -TDO- Saudi public prosecutor’s office has announced that five men have been sentenced to death and another three face a total of 24 years in prison for their roles in the gruesome murder of the dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last year.
Khashoggi, a well-known Saudi journalist anda prominent critic of the Saudi government,was murdered on October 20, 2018 at the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul. He was visiting the consulate to complete paperwork related to his divorce. The Saudi authorities said it was the result of a "rogue operation" and put 11 unnamed individuals on trial. The court cleared a former top adviser to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and dismissed charges against Ahmed al-Assiri, a former deputy intelligence chief, and Mohammed al-Otaibi, Saudi's consul general in Istanbul when the murder took place.
The sentences were announced by the Public Prosecutor at a press conference in Riyadh following the court ruling. “All those suspected of involvement in the murder case were interrogated by the public prosecution. Those indicted were transferred to court. Those not indicted were released,” the Public Prosecutor said.Representatives of the embassies of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council as well as a representative from Turkey and Human Rights Commission (HRC) were present during the trials in addition to members of the media and Khashoggi’s sons and their lawyer.