İrem UZUN -TDO- French President Emmanuel Macron Thursday called for an international investigation into the blast at Beirut's port that killed more than 130 people and ravaged entire neighborhoods, costing the country billions.
Macron said that he personally had no further information into what may have caused this week’s deadly warehouse explosion in Beirut, beyond what was already in the public domain. Macron also told reporters in Beirut that an international inquiry into the blast was needed, and that this had to be as transparent as possible. "An international, open and transparent probe is needed to prevent things from remaining hidden and doubt from creeping in," he told reporters.
Macron said a French military aircraft carrier was hours away from landing in Beirut with rescue teams and investigators to take the search and the probe forward. Lebanon's foreign minister had announced on French radio Thursday that an investigating committee had been given four days to determine responsibility for Tuesday's devastating explosion. Yet most of the members of this committee are high-ranking officials who command little trust from the people and many relatives of the blast's victims have been calling for foreign investigators.
According to the Al Jazeera, officials said the death toll from the explosion killing at least 157 people and injuring 5,000 others, was expected to rise as search and rescue operations continued for people listed missing under the rubble in areas near the port.