İrem UZUN -TDO- Senior judges have ruled that Shamima Begum – one of three east London schoolgirls who travelled to Syria to join the so-called Islamic State group (ISIS) – should be allowed to return to the UK, challenging against the deprivation of her British citizenship. The government has vowed to fight the decision to allow Shamima Begum, who left London in 2015.
The family of Begum, 20, said they were heartened by the decision on Thursday letting her return to the UK to challenge the Home Office’s move to revoke her British citizenship. Speaking via Tasnime Akunjee, a lawyer, the family said: “We understand there is still a long road ahead.” Her citizenship was revoked by the Home Office on security grounds after she was found in a refugee camp in 2019. The Court of Appeal said she had been denied a fair hearing because she could not make her case from the Syrian camp.
The ruling means the government must now find a way to allow the 20-year-old, who is currently in Camp Roj in northern Syria, to appear in court in London despite repeatedly saying it would not assist removing her from Syria. The judge also said that the national security concerns about her "could be addressed and managed if she returns to the United Kingdom". Former Home Secretary Sajid Javid, who made the decision to strip Begum of her citizenship in February 2019, tweeted a statement saying he was "deeply concerned about the judgement".