İrem UZUN -TDO- Dozens of people have been killed in a stampede that erupted in the Iranian city of Kerman at the funeral procession for a top commander killed in an air strike by the United States, according to officials. "So far 40 people were killed and 213 others were wounded in the incident," the semi-official Fars news agency reported on Tuesday, citing an emergency services official. Earlier, the head of the country's emergency services, Pirhossein Koolivand, told state television that "32 of our citizens lost their lives in the procession ... and 190 were injured" due to "overcrowding". The injured were immediately transferred to hospital, he added. The burial was postponed, the semi-official ISNA news agency reported, without providing more details.
It is unclear what caused the stampede in Kerman, south-eastern Iran, but vast numbers of people had been in the streets on Tuesday morning ahead of the planned burial. Initial videos posted online showed people lying lifeless on a road, others shouting and trying to help them. Top Iranian officials have renewed their threats of revenge. "The martyr Qassem Soleimani is more powerful... now that he is dead," the Revolutionary Guards' top general, Maj Gen Hossein Salami, told crowds in Kerman. In addition, Iranian parliamentarians have approved a motion designating the U.S. Army and the Pentagon as terrorist organizations and allocated extra funds for the force once headed by Soleimani.