İrem UZUN -TDO- The gunman shot dead in the Vienna attacks on Monday served a prison term for attempting to travel to Syria and join Islamic State, the Austrian government said on Tuesday. The interior ministry in Vienna confirmed that the man had been sentenced to 22 months in prison in April 2019. In December 2019, he was released early due to his young age. The perpetrator had even published photos of himself on Instagram, swearing his fealty to the terrorist organization and its current leader, Abu Ibrahim al-Hassemi al-Quresi.
Authorities have named the gunman, who was carrying an assault rifle and a fake suicide vest, as Austrian-North Macedonian dual national Kujtim Fejzula. They had initially feared that multiple gunmen were involved in the attack, but Interior Minister Karl Nehammer told reporters early in the afternoon that evidence showed no indication there had been other assailants.
According to the Minister in an interview with Austrian news agency APA, he was born and raised in Vienna. He was shot by the police at 20:09 local time, according to information given by Vienna police commander Gerhard Purstl.