İrem GÖL -TDO- The World Health Organization (WHO) has said a new case of Ebola has been confirmed in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). The announcement on Friday came just days before the countries largest-ever outbreak was expected to be declared over. The new case was confirmed in Beni, a town at the heart of the epidemic eastern DRC. The patient died on Thursday morning in a hospital after showing symptoms several days earlier, according to reports.
Until Friday, no new cases had been registered since February 17. The country planned to declare on Sunday and end to the outbreak, which emerged in August 2018 and has since killed more than 2,200 people. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said: “After 52 days without a case, surveillance & response teams on the ground have confirmed a new case. We have been preparing for and expecting more cases. Unfortunately, this means the government of DRC will not be able to declare an end to the Ebola outbreak on Monday, as hoped. But WHO remains on the ground and committed as ever to working with the government, affected communities and our partners to end the outbreak.”