NAGORNO-KARABAKH CONFLICT: ARMENIA SAYS THEY ARE READY FOR MEDIATION


03/10/2020




İrem UZUN -TDO- Armenia said on Friday it was ready to engage with the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) to reestablish a ceasefire in the occupied region of Nagorno-Karabakh. The country's foreign ministry said it "stands ready" to engage with France, Russia, and the United States, who co-chair the OSCE group of mediators to the conflict, to re-establish a ceasefire regime.

The conflict around the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh erupted on Sunday. Nearly 200 people have been confirmed killed, including more than 30 civilians. The enclave is officially part of Azerbaijan but occupied by ethnic Armenians. The two former Soviet republics went to war over the territory between 1988 and 1994, eventually declaring a ceasefire, and they have never reached a settlement over the dispute. France, Russia and the U.S., which co-chair the OSCE Minsk mediation group, have called for a ceasefire, but so far Azerbaijan has not given a positive response to proposed talks. Azerbaijan President Ilham Aliyev has rejected talks, and his main ally, Turkey, has said a lasting ceasefire depends on "Armenians' withdrawal from every span of Azerbaijani territory".

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Wednesday called for a de-escalation in fighting between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the occupied Karabakh region and offered to host negotiations in Moscow. In separate telephone conversations with his counterparts from Azerbaijan and Armenia, Lavrov reaffirmed Moscow's readiness to organize necessary contacts, including holding the next meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan, Armenia and Russia, according to a ministry statement.


porno izlebrazzers