LIBYA’S RECOGNISED GOVERNMENT ACCUSES HAFTAR OF A COUP ATTEMPT


29/04/2020




İrem UZUN -TDO- Libya's UN-recognised government accused military commander Khalifa Haftar of seeking to stage a coup after he claimed to have a "mandate" from the people to govern the country. "It's a farce and the latest in a long series of coups d'etat," the Government of National Accord (GNA), based in Tripoli, said in a statement on Tuesday.

On Monday, Haftar unilaterally declared himself as the ruler of Libya. He said the agreement, signed under the auspices of the UN, has “lost its rule”. In a televised address, Haftar talked about street demonstrations in areas under his control and claimed he “accepted the mandate of the Libyan people to govern the country”. Last week in his speech, Haftar asked his supporters to hold demonstrations and give him the mandate to rule. He also mentioned the possibility of a "constitutional declaration". The agreement was signed in 2015 in Morocco. As a result of the agreement, the legitimate Government of National Accord was formed to manage the transition process in Libya.

Washington called for dialogue between the two sides and a humanitarian truce. The Embassy of U.S. in Trablus shared a message from its official Twitter account, saying "The United States regrets commander Haftar's suggestion that changes to Libya's political structure can be imposed by unilateral declaration... As civilians continue to suffer during the holy (fasting) month of Ramadan and the COVID-19 pandemic threatens more lives, we urge Haftar's forces to join the Government of National Accord in declaring an immediate humanitarian cessation of hostilities".


porno izlebrazzers