İrem GÖL -TDO- The federal judge, Geoffrey Flick, in the judgment on Wednesday said that he is open to finding Peter Dutton, the home affairs minister of Australia, in contempt if he fails to ignore the court’s order in an immigration case regarding an Iranian man’s protection visa. Flick said that Dutton and the minister for immigration “were unlawfully and repeatedly persisting in pursuing a course of decision-making contrary” to the court’s decision.
The Iranian man which is the main question of the case reached Australian territories in 2013. He was given a bridging visa in August the same year, after passing sometime in the detention centre. Yet, his visa was cancelled in December 2016 and he was detained again. Since then, his application for a new visa has been sent between the authorities and crawled through the system. In 2018, the administrative appeals tribunal ruled that he was eligible for the protection visa. However, since then, the department failed to process his application.
Flick said that “It is regrettable that those responsible for administering the Migration Act in accordance with law have deliberately decided to administer that legislation in a manner contrary to law.” He added in his words that he had the power to fine or jail people found in contempt of Court.