İlknur Şebnem Öztemel – TDO - In a blistering, three-week offensive, regime forces have seized about 80 percent of east Aleppo which has been dominated by rebel groups since 2012.
Bashar-al Assad talked to Syrian daily Al-Watan magazine and he said ‘’It's true that Aleppo will be a win for us, but let's be realistic, it won't mean the end of the war in Syria but it will be a huge step towards this end." According to the state media, government forces seized the Bab al-Nayrab, Al-Maadi, Salhin neighborhoods and more neighborhoods were expected to fall soon.
Regarding the event opposition factions called for an immediate five-day humanitarian ceasefire. Assad replied as: "It's practically non-existent, of course."
A UN official said about 31,500 people from east Aleppo have been displaced around city over the past week.
Following the event, a common declaration of USA, Canada, UK, Germany, France and Italy called for ceasefire and condemned Russia and Iran as they are supporting Assad regime. Also, leaders argued that there should be no exceptions about people and institutions that committed war crimes and investigators should collect proofs. Besides, leaders agreed to impose additional sanctions to the regime and related groups and institutions.
Last week UN declared Aleppo as ‘’ City without food’’ then Spain, New Zealand and Egypt introduced a draft resolution to UNSC. In Monday, UNSC voted for a seven days ceasefire in Aleppo in order to distribute humanitarian aid to the region. China and Russia vetoed it.