İrem UZUN -TDO- Facebook is banning posts that deny or distort the Holocaust and will start directing people to authoritative sources if they search for information about the Nazi genocide. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced the new policy Monday, the latest attempt by the company to take action against conspiracy theories and misinformation ahead of the U.S. presidential election three weeks away.
The decision comes amid a push by Holocaust survivors around the world who lent their voices to a campaign targeting Zuckerberg beginning this summer, urging him to take action to remove Holocaust denial posts from the social media site. In 2018, Zuckerberg said that such posts should not automatically be taken down for getting it wrong. "I'm Jewish and there's a set of people who deny that the Holocaust happened," he said. "I find it deeply offensive. But at the end of the day, I don't believe that our platform should take that down because I think there are things that different people get wrong. I don't think that they're intentionally getting it wrong."
Facebook has taken many measures over the years that suggest it sometimes does act as an arbiter of truth. In its blog post, it said it has taken down 22.5 million pieces of hate speech in the second quarter of 2020 and banned over 250 White supremacist organizations. Most recently, it banned all QAnon groups and ads in support of the conspiracy theory movement. Last week, it also removed a post by President Donald Trump that falsely claimed coronavirus is less deadly than the seasonal flu.