ZARIF: WE WILL NOT START ONE




Selin ATAY-TDO-In an interview with Face the Nation Iranian foreign minister Javad Zarif said: “I’m not confident that we can avoid a war. I’m confident we will not start one, but I’m confident that whoever starts one will not be the one who finishes it.”

As tensions between Tehran and Washington reach a boiling point over U.S. accusations that Iran was behind a high-profile attack on Saudi oil fields last week, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said he was not confident his country and the U.S. could avert a full-blown conflict.

When he asked what that meant, Zarif replied: “That means there won’t be a limited war.”

Top U.S. officials like Secretary of State Mike Pompeo have publicly blamed Iran for the oil plant attacks.Moreover, Mr. Trump on Friday ordered the deployment of additional troops and missile systems to both the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia. 

But during his interview on "Face the Nation," Zarif denied any Iranian involvement in the attacks, saying the country's supreme leader would have had to order such an operation, and he did not. He accused the Trump administration of "posturing" by sending more troops to the region, which he said would benefit from an end to the Saudi-led military intervention in war-torn Yemen.

Zarif suggested his government would be open to allowing a team of international investigators to probe the attacks and determine the culprit. But he said they needed to be "impartial."